X

pfarber
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: WHY INSTALL TWO MIRRORS ON CCKWS AND OTHER LARGE MV'S?

Post by pfarber »

"It serves no purpose to argue CCKW without a real honest to goodness CCKW to experience and drive."

I've driven mopeds, flown airplanes, cars, motorcycles, rode horses, box vans, an M-60 tank and a nuclear powered ballistic missile submarine.

Maybe its that whole double clutch thing? No... I've bobtailed my brothers Freightliner enough to know how to do that... what AM I MISSING?!?!?!

A CCKW is SO wildly different and unconventional that unless you completely rebuild one and drive it for 60 years you know nothing about them?

WOW.... I figured tooling around at 40mph with manual steering, brakes and really crappy seat was all there was to it... I can't wait till my CCKW travels through time like the rest of them do! :lol: :roll:

CCKWs are not hard. Nothing has ever come close to the PITA factor as my 78 MG Midget. That POS still haunts me... How can the country that created the Spitfire and the Rolls Royce have ever invented such a POS.
"The RH mirror also comes in handy to look back and see if that kid who ran across your path in a parade made it." -Ranger
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

X
Last edited by RANGER on Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
pfarber
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by pfarber »

You'll really have to explain what that means.

By you account none of our trucks are roadworthy, fall apart due to not replacing perfectly serviceable parts, and as owners we know nothing because we were not Army trained.

Yet every week or so I fire up the truck, tool around (take a ton or two of stuff to the dump, drive to the Gordon Lake, or simply to mom and dads) and perform the same checks that you do.

Why am I not dead, and haven't run over any kids in parades (I think I'm gonna make that my new sig line) and generally do everything you say I cannot do because we don't have '60+ years of Army training' or eleventy-billion miles in M38s or whatever it is.
"The RH mirror also comes in handy to look back and see if that kid who ran across your path in a parade made it." -Ranger
pfarber
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by pfarber »

RANGER wrote:Farby, FedEx does not drive CCKWs, how about getting some real time in an authentic, roadworthy 100% restored CCKW.
When you get one, let me know.

How do I identify these 'fake' CCKWs.. I mean mine has the same cab, engine, drivetrain, wheels, hydrovac, cargo bed, grill etc etc that the books say I should have (ok, I don't have the correct voltage regulator)

I'd drive my truck to your place in a heart beat. Give me an address and I'll see you in a few days. When I get there we can haggle over a voltage regulator that i need.

You willing to make the trip to Gordon, PA to reciprocate? My 'fake' CCKW and I await your response :P
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

THIS BULLSHIT IS WEARING THIN.
I appologize all the the sundry bullshit that is woven into these posts, but it is beyond my control.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it