PG

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

PG

Post by RANGER »

:)
Last edited by RANGER on Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
pfarber
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: WHERE TO BUY CCKW PARTS-WHAT TO PAY

Post by pfarber »

If you need parts then you are going to ship them from overseas.

Europe still has LOTS of CCKW parts.

Cost? There is a range, but what price do you put on rare parts that are 50+ years out of production? Then multiply that by the weak dollar's exchange rate and you have quite the decision to make... buy that parts truck and haul it home or pay for shipping parts from Europe.

You can stumble across the NOS part or two, but NOS means vastly different things to different people... and condition is still hit or miss. I've opened NOS still in cosmoline wrapped parts to fund rusted parts.

Then there is always the question of IS IT THE RIGHT PART. I've told vendors I want Part X, PN Y for truck Z. And gotten 1950's era civvy parts for my trouble.
"The RH mirror also comes in handy to look back and see if that kid who ran across your path in a parade made it." -Ranger
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

PARTS ARE ALL GONE

Post by RANGER »

:)
Last edited by RANGER on Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

PARTS are DISAPPEARING

Post by RANGER »

pfarber wrote:If you need parts then you are going to ship them from overseas.

Europe still has LOTS of CCKW parts.

Cost? There is a range, but what price do you put on rare parts that are 50+ years out of production? Then multiply that by the weak dollar's exchange rate and you have quite the decision to make... buy that parts truck and haul it home or pay for shipping parts from Europe.

You can stumble across the NOS part or two, but NOS means vastly different things to different people... and condition is still hit or miss. I've opened NOS still in cosmoline wrapped parts to fund rusted parts.

Then there is always the question of IS IT THE RIGHT PART. I've told vendors I want Part X, PN Y for truck Z. And gotten 1950's era civvy parts for my trouble.

Any advice who the good guys are?
Last edited by RANGER on Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
pfarber
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by pfarber »

Cobbling together random snippets does not a coherent point make.

I will say that vast majority of people have vendor horror stories. I've had just as much success with random people off e-bay than I have had with 'vendors'.

If you can tell me who has NOS in the original box Hydrovac Series II rebuild kits in the USA let me know. I've bought them from Europe to get them.

If you are going to say that you have *NEVER* had a deal not work out then you are either way to polite or naive.

And if asking for a part, buy part number, make and model of engine STILL get me a worthless post war part, than that vendor is probably not going to get my business. Anyone want to buy a govenor that will 'fit' a cckw but not an original part? If you don't like it you can ship it back at YOUR expense! WHAT A DEAL!!!

As for your parts stash... I'm sure there are people who swear by your parts. That will not question you at all. I on the other hand will question what needs questioned. When your part (ie die cast carbs) do not match the TM or SNL I need a reason why... otherwise you are just another vendor with the wrong part who won't admit it.

Most people really don't care.. they want the cash. Those are the best people to deal with. Its about giving them what they want (cash) for what I want (the part). Most could care less if a CCKW has 1,2 or 12 mirrors... they'll sell you one for the price listed.

It when the 'holy rollers' of the CCKW world start trying to judge your truck and your ability that I roll my eyes.. because when you look at THIER truck.. its as fubar as can be. A CCKW salad.. with the wrong paint and the wrong parts in the wrong configuration.. BUT it has an uber rare padlock!!!!!!! OOOOOOO!!!!!!! AAAHHHHHHH!!!!!! :lol: :roll:
"The RH mirror also comes in handy to look back and see if that kid who ran across your path in a parade made it." -Ranger
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Farby you are apparantly in the minority, and have set yourself up. It ain't often that a know it all leaves himself wide open to get suckered. Don't take it too hard, they are just having fun getting even with your snotty remarks.
pfarber
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by pfarber »

Set myself up for what?

Vendors selling me the wrong parts? If them NOT selling me the wrong parts is teaching me a lesson then its a weird lesson... and I will probably never learn it.

I've probably ruffled a few feathers. I don't apologize for it.. because in the end I've either learned something important or not gotten ripped off. So as I see it, either way I win.

I am not the politically correct type... I enjoy a good discussion no matter what the topic OR the outcome. Others are more passive or content to listen or tune out when then 'Alte Hese' is questioned.

I am not the ultimate CCKW expert. I never claimed I was. But I like to think that the effort one gives is not only an indication of what they HAVE learned, and what they STILL HAVE to learn, but also dedication and pride they take in the effort they are making.

And if that ruffles *ANYONES* feathers... oh well.
pfarber
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by pfarber »

Oh yeah.. and do you like me new sig line? I think I'm gonna get some t-shirts made.

PRICELESS!!!

Keep'em coming Ranger ol' buddy ol' pal! :wink:
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

PARTS GONE

Post by RANGER »

Pa
Last edited by RANGER on Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
pfarber
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by pfarber »

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with a properly maintained factoy restored CCKW.

The only parts that people get all wobbly legged over is the brake system. Here's a scary fact... even your MODERN ANTI LOCK BREAKS is based off the vacuum over hydraulic system called the hydrovac.

It works well.

Now, if leather seals and having to put 2 oz of oil in the vac piston scares the daylights out of you then OK, you're mentally not ready to trust the hydrovac. But trust me (or go look it up yourself) the system works fine.

Tubes in tires? Many motorcycles still use tubes (mine does and its a 2006 Suzuki). What other part of a CCKW is such a death trap that you must rip out the original and replace it?

And don't say the mirrors :P

I will whole heartily agree with RANGER that a well maintained truck will operate well. It is a lot of work, and it takes some time to get the 'feel' of whats going on. But its not a modern throw away vehicle where all you do is change a filter and add oil and fuel.

How many people would be able to maintain an automobile if they had to drain the fuel filter every morning? Most automobile owners know where the gas goes. THAT is scary.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

PARTS ALL GONE

Post by RANGER »

P
Last edited by RANGER on Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
pfarber
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by pfarber »

Spell check is the root of all evil.

So my misspelling of a word takes away from ones credibility? What, I need to prove my 'street cred' online? What are you like 10 years old?

Like leather seals. They work. They may need a little more looking after... but that horse/cow hide is sealing that shaft just as well as modern neoprene. Just for not as long.

About the only weak link I can think of on a CCKW is the axles. The splits with their pinned tubes were marginal for the 10,000 they were designed to handle. One might argue that the frame was the weak link (and they did increase the thickness late into production) but a frame doesn't see the same loads as the axles.

Any vehicle not looked after will eventually fail. Just about every part on a vehicle is a wear limited item with a design lifespan. That lifespan might be short, but without proper maintenance it will fail long before that time.