RANGERS MOTORPOOL

Robbo
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Re: RANGERS MOTORPOOL

Post by Robbo »

Does the driver's dispatcher fill out a trip ticket for the journey to the airfield?? :wink:

http://users.beagle.com.au/mtrpool/GMC/Trip1.jpg

http://users.beagle.com.au/mtrpool/GMC/Trip2.jpg

(APO 928 was Mt. Isa in Northern Australia before those units moved to Port Moresby in New Guinea in Sept 42.)
I love the smell of cosmoline in the morning!
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Trip tickets are issued in the form of Dunkin Donuts Gift Cards.
Thanks for the Trip Ticket info. Looks like 2nd Series CCKWs were dispatched.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

RANGER spends several hours a week in his motorpool office flipping thru pages of WWII Military manual photos, and glossy 8X10 photos of CCKWs. The recent Tankograd "GMC" book and the "LIFE" photos of early CCKW testing posted here by Robbo, have been a giant step in disclosing the finer details of early CCKWs, especially the Life photos of SWB USA 440894 indicating evidence of the exhaust exiting from the RH side.
If you are trying to recreate a "Plain Jane" CCKW in the raw, the above information is the way to go.
Last edited by RANGER on Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

The simplest MV in the Ranger Motorpool to maintain is the rare TRUCK, 1-Ton, 3- Wheel, Bomb Lift, M-1. SNL G-189.
The Field maintenance responsibility is the Department of the Air Force, the repair and rebuild of major components remains the responsibility of the Ordnance Department.
This particular unit has been part of my family since being turned in unused at the Dow Field Base Supply to be sold as surplus in the fall of 1949 when Dow was closed and the 14th Fighter Group departed with their F-84B Thunder Jets.
It still has its 1943 dated tires and the original hydraulic fluid installed by Weaver, the manufacturer, back in 1943. The only maintence required is periodic dusting, checking tire pressure, and lubrication every 20 years or so. I have one more stored away, it will be going to a deserving P-51 owner or a museum of my choice, right now it is a toss up between the 8th Air Force Museum, or the Air Force Armament Museum at Eglin. It will be quite a while tho.
Trading the second one for a P-51 ride is also a possibility.
Last edited by RANGER on Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Ranger would love to find all of those instructors that shared knowledge and WWII truck stories back in wheeled Vehicle Mechanics School (1960) and show them that their time was well spent on Private "Ranger".
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

My friend William Knight is a graduate of the Quartermaster Mechanic School at Ft Hollabird, late 1940, he trained on the earliest CCKWX GMCs.
Bill is an insider with Motor Pool priveleges.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Remember, RANGER has lived intact Military Vehicles and parts daily since just after WWII.
All vehicles are serviced using maintenance procedures according to the applicable TM, with all TBs, MWOs and SBs up to date. In essence, the vehicles are restored using the latest OEM GI Issue parts and upgrades. Quoting General Chuck Yeager, "Why wait for trouble?".
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Since I installed the restored Closed Cab on the CCKW in 2007, my other restored MVs stay parked, the CCKW is irresistable.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

I was given my first TM9-801 back in 1949, I read it when I should have been doing school homework.
Last edited by RANGER on Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

A GI Issue pressure bleeder will allow one to bleed the CCKW from end to end in approximately 25 minutes fron start to when the bleeder is put away. The CCKW is the easiest 6X6 to bleed. Flushing the entire brake system takes about twice that amount of time as there is a lot of wiping up to do. I flush the CCKW system approx every four years. This year, just for safety, the perfectly functioning Type 1 Hydrovac will be replaced with a type 3 Hydrovac, using the NOS installation kit I have.
Type 3 Hydrovac installation is very responsive compared to the Types 1 and 2.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

One good reason to repair and perform PM on MVs as the Army taught it in the 40s-60s is that the training was thorough and if followed, it will result in the vehicles performing in the manner they were intended. Turnkey operation will also be a reality, and result in many favorable compliments and lots of MV friends.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

I registered the MB for the year Friday, only drove it 198 miles in 2008, the CCKW got top billing, the Jeeps played second fiddle. Both will be driven today, weather will be in 60s and Sunny. They fired right off Friday, batteries were both up. I believe in using correct group number batteries in my MVs. Delco is used in the CCKW, Caterpiller brand is used in MB. The M-37, M-38A1 and Multifuel all have NOS GI Issue batteries. I stocked up on NOS dry charge GI Issue M-Series batteries for my M-Series.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

The Ranger Motorpool also consists of WWII/Post WWII Dow Field items such as Aircraft ground support items. My prize possessions are the M-1 Bomb Lifts used to place bombs under the WWII Aircraft bomb shackles, this summer I will be bringing down the WWII Southwind Heater used to warm Aircraft engines, it is stored up North and was surplused from Presque Isle Air Force base in during the Korean War. The yellow tag indicates 57th Fighter Interceptor Squadron, it has wooden wheels is OD color and the WWII AAF winged propeller insignia. I can remember starting the 1 cylinder engine with the pull rope back in the 50s. It has been stored in a weatherproof shed since the Korean War. I gotta clean out my barn before I can bring the nice stuff down, and that means that some lucky soul will be getting a few trailer loads of my NOS Jeep, Dodge and CCKW parts including NOS fenders and sheetmetal, transmissions and axle assemblies. Been at this long enough, I put the building up to enjoy the vehicles not store parts . It is time for bare walls.
pfarber
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by pfarber »

What TM states that the original OD paint shall be removed from CCKW steering wheels?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Where in the lube order does it specify the interval for polishing or applying linseed oil to a CCKW steering wheel??

:lol: :lol: :lol:

What change in the lube order states that 30 weight SHALL NOT BE USED and that 15W-40 diesel oil shall be an acceptable substitute?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You know I'm just busting your chops. :thumbup:
"The RH mirror also comes in handy to look back and see if that kid who ran across your path in a parade made it." -Ranger
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Just found a NOS vintage Federal Signal 6 Volt Siren in the original box.
This is the little bullet shaped one with the "V" on the grille. At one time I was thinking of mounting one on my MVs but have had second thoughts.CCKWs did not come from the factory with one and they are not legal to use on private owned vehicles I am not General Patton either. It is posible that a SWB CCKW in an Artillery unit would have one to signal the start of a fire mission, but that was then and not now.
The Siren will look good on my shelf tho.