How to find the right hydraulic motor for my winch....

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.

How to find the right hydraulic motor for my winch....

Post by Guest »

Howdy folks!
I am the prowd owner of a 1942 Dodge WC52. To make life easier for myself, I've retired the old 6-cyl mill in favor of a 318 V8 and a 727 automatic tranny. Well, all is good except for the fact that I lost my power outlet on the tranny for the winch, and would like to install a hydraulic motor to run the winch by its original driveshaft.
I have'nt got a clue on what to use or how to calculate the motor, and hence ask you here at this forum for help.
I have already lined up a power steering unit from a Chevy Van, with powersteering pump and all, but do not know how to mate a hydraulic motor for driving my winch together with the pump that's already present.

(Just to make things clear, I'm doing all my conversion in such a way, that its all possible to get it back to stock.)

Regards
Roy
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Hi Roy:

Here's a link to a man who rebuilt a WC 53 Carryall from almost nothing. http://imageevent.com/moosecreekmaple/1943dodgecarryall . His name is Paul, and if you explore his site, you will find answers to most of your questions. He is also available (via email) and willing to help any and all who ask him. :thumbup: Not only that, but I hear tell his Maple Syrup is possibly the BEST in the world. :wink:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
pHIL 2

HYDRAULIC DRIVE WINCH

Post by pHIL 2 »

Hi Roy
I don't know where you are located but most places have a breakers who dismantle fork lift trucks. They are an absolute Alladins cave of hydraulic bits pieces and gizmose. DON't use your power steering pump for the winch drive motor. Blow a hose or lunch the pump and you think the steerings heavy now, try it with a power steering ram 'damping' it. Calculate the power required for the winch knowing the max torque from the flat head six through the PTO and the ratio of the winch gearing. This will give you a torque at the winch. It ain't too difficult to get the HP. On the side of most hydromotors is the HP and max psi and sometimes the GPM. (Gallons/minute) If you hunt round a fork lift truck breakers you will find all the bits you need including a spool valve so you can reverse the drive for paying out the rope. Also build an adjustable pressure relief valve into the system unless you have a dispensor for shear pins. Hydraulics don't know when to give up. A simple formula for hydraulics is
HP= PSIxGPMx0.00068. You can transpose that to give you all the figures you want. Ever thought of fitting an electric winch and disguising it?