Colour inside a WC54

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Steve
Sergeant
Sergeant

Colour inside a WC54

Post by Steve »

Can anyone confirm what the colour should be inside during WWII - When I got her the business side was dark green with a white roof, the cab had a virtually black roof with green doors and an olive dash. I have now scrapped off the white and it is now totally green. I need to get the colour correct for a WC54 whilst serving during WWII.
Phil P
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
My garage: 1944 Leyland Hippo MKII 6x4 GS 10 tonner
1944 Willys MB
1942 Dodge WC51 Weapon Carrier (US Navy)
1937 Sunbeam bicycle
1926 BSA 500 Blue Star Sport motorcycle
1942 Ford GPW

WC 54 colours

Post by Phil P »

Hi Steve
Check out Florence posting January 24 ref Ambulance colours. Nice pics on this posting.
1944 Leyland Hippo 10 tonner (Ex 79th Armoured Division) 'Elly J'
21 December 1942 Dodge WC51 (US Navy South Pacific)
'Spirit of USS Arizona'
1927 BSA 500cc 'Blue Star' m/c
8th January 1944 US Navy MB. 'Olive's Taxi'
Feb '42 Ford GPW 'Yella Boyd'
Mark GB
Corporal
Corporal

Check out this website

Post by Mark GB »

Should give you some information

http://home.zonnet.nl/dodgewc54/
Drove it, used it, broke it, fixed it, sold it - looking for another
Florence
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Florence »

Hi Steve,
after doing a lot of research I'm nearly sure that the WC 54 were painted in matte olive drab all over.

But otherwise the Ambulances were sometimes presented in white interieur in Military Museums, too. Heres a pic from the one in Diekirch:

After all I decided to paint my WC54 Florence with olive walls and white ceiling. Because:
I found old white painting on the ceiling,
it's more easy to show the inside of an Ambulance on meetings,
the drivers compartment is more cosy for long rides in the summer,
using the back is more comfortable whithout using too much light.

Florence interieur:

However if I will repaint her one day from the outside in matte OD I will also paint the whole interieur OD.
Sylvia
WC58 - 4229/933 July 1942 - Commander George
http://www.command-car.com
Dedicated to Dodge Command Car and Dodge Ambulance of WW2

Dodge Build Card collection:
http://www.command-car.com/technik/tech ... cards.html
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Steve:

If your goin for the "Factory Fresh" look, ALL Dodge body parts were painted OD, EVERYWHERE! :wink: That's the flat too, not semi gloss.

Sylvia:

Thanks for those pictures.

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Steve
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Steve »

Ugg/Sylvia - thanks for info especially photos which have given me some ideas, not sure it is going to be factory fresh but will be olive drab of a sort, no white.
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

All I remember....

Post by Gordon_M »

(never having owned one) is that there was a lot of discussion some time back about the body floor.

Apparently it was some sort of green linoleum, not OD, and difficult to match today - presumably a cleanliness thing as it would be easier to keep disinfected.

Gordon
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
wc 9 and 12 owner
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
My garage: current owner of a WC 9, WC 12, 2 K38s, USMC Willys MB Holden Ambulance, 1943 USMC Willys NOM 12 radio jeep ,wc 27, Cushman package kar, m6 bomb truck, m5 bomb trailer, m1 bomb truck, Ben hur trailer and a few more things

Post by wc 9 and 12 owner »

In one of my 9s there was a ruberized mat that had burlap in between
Steve
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: All I remember....

Post by Steve »

I still have the green lino that you are talking about on the floor I would agree that it is probably nigh impossible to get anything like it - it is certainly green with a matting backing - however I bet someone somewhere has it! I was going to replace it as it has seen better days but might just change my mind
Jim_n_Tx
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Jim_n_Tx »

Does anyone have any information on the floor mats that were in the front of the WC-54s (color, material, pattern)? According to the parts listing there was a front floor mat and a front floor mat extension. The extension covered the area under the seats (the picture of it in the parts list matches the shape of the floor with cut-outs for the seat mounting points). There is no info that I can find on the other mat. The parts list calls for linoleum in the rear but no reference to color. I have Wayne Works numbers for these, but, alas, Wayne Works no longer exists. Any info on the floor mats would be appreciated.
wc 9 and 12 owner
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
My garage: current owner of a WC 9, WC 12, 2 K38s, USMC Willys MB Holden Ambulance, 1943 USMC Willys NOM 12 radio jeep ,wc 27, Cushman package kar, m6 bomb truck, m5 bomb trailer, m1 bomb truck, Ben hur trailer and a few more things

Post by wc 9 and 12 owner »

Steve can you take a picture of it and post it. all the ambulances where the same in the rear so it would have to be same with my 9's
Florence
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Florence »

Would be also happy to see the vintage green Linoleum.
I have seen two Ambulances with old Linoleum. Don't know if it was the first floor lining but it was very old. (one has had a greyishbrown and one has had a redbrown floor).

I used real Linoleum in the back of Florence, too.
Most shops today only have PVC, it's horrible. The big tool and room shops called me crazy looking for such an uggly old pattern ;-)
Than I found Linoleum as a modern high end natural floor lining, but that has a different shade which can't be used in the 1940s because of its different shades from production (the modern one looks like clouds for example).

From an elderly room Designer/painter I got the information that the older German Linoleum has some kind of stripes in it from production line. He told me that it is sometimes still available as the cheapest floor lining used in schools for example. There I got the brown one which I used in Florence.
BTW a square meter of the modern Lino cost about 50 - 80 Euro. The simple old pattern is about 15 - 20 Euro a meter.

EDIT: The information regarding the stripes in the Linoleum is for German (maybe European) Linoleum and NOT for the 1940s US! In the meantime I got the info that the US Linoleum has is kind of clouded!!! So I deleted the pics to show nothing wrong.

By the way - Greg - did you find some Lino in Missouri?

Sylvia
Last edited by Florence on Sun May 22, 2011 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Florence
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Florence »

BTW be very carefull when using paint or thinner for example - Linoleum is very sensitive for it, and the surface will be assaulted.
There should be a kind of sealing wax for Lino but as it is not sensitive on normal use I did not seal it until now.

Steve
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Steve »

Will do - I have just moved so will have to find the digital camera - just out of interest my 54 came with front mats however cannot be sure that these were put in by the Norweigans. The ones I have are a very light colour grey I think - if useful I will post pictures of these as well.
sgtpeter
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by sgtpeter »

Hello All -

Many thanks to "WC 9 and 12 Owner" for letting me know about this site.

As near as I can tell my WC54 has the original linoleum floor in the patient area of the truck. Its a normal rainy spring here in the PNW so I'll try to get a couple pics loaded later.

A simple description is that the material appears to have initially been a primer red color and then painted OD later. The design is a series of ridges and valleys that run the length of the truck. Each ridge is 5/8" wide and each valley is 1/8" wide. The linoleum is about 1/8" think and rests on a tar paper like base.

Hopefully, I will be able to get some photos in the next couple of days for everyone.
Peter

1943 WC54
piles of smelly green stuff