POST WAR SERIAL NUMBERS

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
BrianT
Sergeant
Sergeant

POST WAR SERIAL NUMBERS

Post by BrianT »

Hi gents. On the inside of the hood on my WC 51 (which is an Austrian Lohner Radio Van conversion there is a stencil with the number G2 502 835602. (vehicle has a Dodge chassis no of 81-1751872 - January '45 build). I noticed on another website that a WC 52 Lohner had a stencil of G2 502-8358604. I have checked and this is not an Austrian serial number. It was suggested that this might be an interim number assigned after the extensive vehicle rebuid activities in Europe post war and prior to allocation to the various national forces.
What happened to the vehicles immediately post war and prior to allocation to the varies armies?

The Austrian Army was established in 1955 although some vehicles had been previously allocated to their Gendarmerie.

Has anyone come across similar stencils and know what they are?

Cheers
Brian

1945 Dodge WC51 Lohner Radio Van
BrianT
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: POST WAR SERIAL NUMBERS

Post by BrianT »

Anyone seen these serials?
Are they post rebuild storage serials?

Cheers
Brian

Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

My WC54 was rebuilt in Germany in 1952, she emerged with the number USA 7120000
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
BrianT
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by BrianT »

Tony, have been away a few days. Do you know at which plant your vehicle was rebuilt?
Did the serial have the same prefixes as the other 2? Where was the serial number located?

Thanks
Brian

Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

I'll have to check the spelling of the place. It was a US Ordnance base in Germany in 1952. The serial number is on the rebuild plate.
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere