Dodge WC-63 Wiper Motors

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
GarretScott
Sergeant
Sergeant

Dodge WC-63 Wiper Motors

Post by GarretScott »

Are the WC wiper motors the same as ones on MB's and GPW's?

Are they the same as on early M38's and M37's?

Is there really a left and right version of motor? If so, what's the difference? Maybe it's where they home to?

Sorry for all the questions, but I figure it's been a week since I put a 50 question quiz on the forum.

Thanks,
Garret
1944 Dodge WC-63, Ex French, Ex USA. My new Project Truck (parts wanted!)
1971 Land Rover, 1/2 Ton, General Service (Air Portable), Ex BAOR
1979 MB Unimog U1100 (416.141) 3-Way Tipper, Ex Swiss
2000 MB Gelandewagen (463.421), The Black Box
Vista52
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Re: Dodge WC-63 Wiper Motors

Post by Vista52 »

The wiper motors you are looking for are Trico S-583-1. They are used on MB/GPW's as well as the Open-cab Dodge WC's. The later M-37's were basically the same I think, but had some writing on the Kicker Spring Cover.

I'll look for a photo I have.
Coming together is a Beginning...Keeping together is Progress...Working together is Success.
Be Yourself, Everyone else is Taken...Oscar Wilde
A POW is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him...WSC
GarretScott
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by GarretScott »

Thanks. I've seen many that look about the same, but do have different writing on them, including a pair with an NSN and then some others that said "Govt Property". Then I've seen some French Marchal, but they were significantly different looking, although they appeared as if they might interchange.

Of course now I wonder if the arms and wipers are the same as the M37?
Vista52
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Vista52 »

Found it really fast. You'll be extremely lucky to find any as nice as these. They do appear on ebay now and again but usually need a re-build. You can do a search here on the Forum under +wiper motor for info on re-building as myself and Divingrocks just re-built some. You can also send them away, but it's expensive.

No right or left that I'm aware off. M-37 arms and blades will fit but I'm not sure if they are slightly different so wouldn't be strictly original looking.

Coming together is a Beginning...Keeping together is Progress...Working together is Success.
Be Yourself, Everyone else is Taken...Oscar Wilde
A POW is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him...WSC
gi dad 1
Corporal
Corporal
My garage: WC4, WC8, WC15, WC23, WC63, 42MB(Sat Grill), 42GPW(VEP), Ben Hur Trailer( Hercules), '76 Condor A350 MC.

Post by gi dad 1 »

went outside just now (18 degrees) and took a couple of pictures but can't post them from my smartphone. They are oriented the same direction, no left/right. One is missing the cover plate, the other says"TRICO PRODUCTS CORP" then "US PROPERTY" plus some numbers. Send me an e-mail and I can send pics back to you. Maybe you can post them for all to see.
Ian Jamieson
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ian Jamieson »

Hi guys,
while on the subject of vacuum wipers, if one was not hugely concerned about the "look" (ie their hidden inside the closed cab) are the vacuum wipers worth the trouble? I have scary memories of old cars with vacuum wipers that stop when going up hills :cry: , and in NZ we get some pretty heavy rain!

Im trying not to blaspheme here but just want an honest opinion.

Cheers

Ian
1942 WC57 Command Car
1942 WC-53 Carry-All
1941 Willys MB
GarretScott
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by GarretScott »

gi dad 1 wrote:went outside just now (18 degrees) and took a couple of pictures ... Maybe you can post them for all to see.
Here are the photos, I'm posting these for gi dad 1. I particularly like the "US Property" markings. Not something I would have thought to be a high theft item. But then I suppose times have changed...

GG
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by GG »

I know its not stock but has anyone ever install a hand crank system like that of the _ _ _ p on a wc ?
The reason I ask is my wc62/63 wipers are slow and with rain x on the glass I don't need much wiper action and could do the required cleaning when I deem necessary, plus the reduction in engine vaccum loss would be a gain.
Just asking please.
GG
1942 WC 58
1950 Dodge B2B
1950 CJ3A
1943 WC 63 (Sold)
Dozerman51
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by Dozerman51 »

One way of eliminating Vacuum wiper motor stall on acceleration is by installing either a Civilian or M37 double acting fuel pump on your truck. Yes, for all you purist out there it is not original, but much safer when driving in the rain. Another way is to Install a vacuum holding tank on the truck . This way you can keep your original type fuel pump on the truck.