Remagen Bridge River Rhine Crossing Anniversary 2015 +photos

Discussion of current events, the site, the forum and participation in intelligent conversation with other forum.ww2dodge users - politics-free please.
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: Dodge WC51 built 1942. Former 4x4 MV: Dodge WC52, LR 109 ex MOD FFR (fitted for radio) Series IIA and Series III, Series III Stage1 V8 with Ambulance Body (ex. MOD), Series II 88 ex. BGS (German Border Patrol).

Remagen Bridge River Rhine Crossing Anniversary 2015 +photos

Post by 12th Air Force »

Hello Folk's,

on the 07.03.2015 is the 70iest anniversary of the first River Rhine Crossing via the legendary Remagen Bridge (aka Ludendorff Bridge). Actually are no events linked to this important date available. So I contacted the Remagen Peace Museum, located in the towers of the remaining bridge on the western river banks to get further details.

My personal plan is to drive up the River Rhine valley on that Saturday from Wiesbaden, heading north, on that day with my Dodge on the eastern River Rhine banks. Maybe some other MV owners would like to join me. The idea is an relaxed drive along the WW2 bridgeheads between Mainz (Gen. Hodges Bridge) and Remagen (north of Koblenz).

My idea is to lay down some flowers at the Remagen Bridge memorial at the end of the day, that became the starting point of the end of "the Reich" and the Nazi dictatorship, opening the gates for the U.S. forces to the German heartland.

Actually I have no idea about where to stay at Remagen, but there is an open space beside the western ramp of the bridge as well as a camping area east of it, only 200 m. away on the river banks. So the idea is to stay over night and to return relaxed back home on Sunday.

I have visited the bridge this year the first time ever and it is hard to explain how it feels to stand on the remainings of this legendary bridge and to know how important this place was for ending this war as well as knowing how fierce the battle about the Ludendorff bridge was 69 years ago.
- So I mixed my pictures with some from March 1945 to bring that moment in history back. I hope you will like that compilation:

http://www.steel-toys.com/R14/
(use "next image" to click to the next picture)

Here is the link to the Museum located in the bridge tower:
http://www.bruecke-remagen.de/index_en.htm

The "Big Picture" documentary about the bridge at Remagen can be found here at youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROqNnkbYumY

Keep 'em Rolling,

Joakim

PS: If interested in joining me for the trip on that date please contact me via PM or E-Mail. :thumbup:
Last edited by 12th Air Force on Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: Dodge WC51 built 1942. Former 4x4 MV: Dodge WC52, LR 109 ex MOD FFR (fitted for radio) Series IIA and Series III, Series III Stage1 V8 with Ambulance Body (ex. MOD), Series II 88 ex. BGS (German Border Patrol).

Re: Remagen Bridge - River Rhine Crossing Anniversary 2015

Post by 12th Air Force »

Latest Update:

There will be a small commemoration Event in the Museum on that day with some local politicians in place - but I have no details about it.
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by 12th Air Force »

Latest Update:

This is the agenda for the commemoration at the Bridge and at the Rheinhalle, Remagen:

from 10:00 Uhr: Empfang im Foyer der Rheinhalle Remagen (welcome at the entrance of the Rheinhalle)

10:45 Uhr Begrüßung durch Hans Peter Kürten, Vorsitzender des Friedensmuseums (opening from Mr. Kuerten, founder of the Bridge Museum)

11:10 Uhr Grußworte (reception)

11:30 Uhr Dr. Andrew B. Denison, Transatlantic Networks:
“In Honor of Good Fortune and Great Commitmentˮ (Speech)

11:50 Uhr Gert Scheller, Sohn von Major Hans Scheller, 1945 hingerichtet nach Urteil des Fliegenden
Standgerichts West: „Mein Dank an die amerikanischen Soldaten“ (Speech of Mr. Scheller - son of the executed German Officer and defender of the bridge)

anschließend Kranzniederlegung an den Brückentürmen (subsequent: wreath ceremony at the bridge)

ab 13:00 Uhr Mittagessen im Foyer der Rheinhalle (lunch at the Rheinhalle from about 1.00 p.m.)

Notice:
The Museum in the bridge is open to the public from 10:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.

If interested: Some pictures from 1945 and from my visit in 2014 can be found here:
http://www.steel-toys.com/R14/
(use "next image" to click to the next picture)
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by 12th Air Force »

One of the best documentaries on the Remagen Bridge I have seen up to now has been produced lately be the WDR TV Channel and has been on TV last Friday. It is now online as well (44 min.):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRKo6zcmxDY
Last edited by 12th Air Force on Fri May 01, 2015 12:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by 12th Air Force »

Hello Folk's,

I'm back from the commemorations at the Remagen Bridge and here is a brief summary:

Although there has been close to zero "announcements" for this Event in advance on the www (no infos at all on the Peace Museum homepage and on the homepage of the City of Remagen only the date - published first some days in advance) was a pretty large group of spectators in place - and this under perfect weather conditions with a blue sky and about 15° C.

At the Rheinhalle - only approx. 200 m. from the Bridge was the "official part" with "the usual politicians" in place and about 200 guests that got an official invitation. Beside of those found representatives of the German Bundeswehr, the US Army - as well as several veterans-associations and WW2 Veterans from the USA, Belgium and Germany the way to the commemoration.

Some WW2 MV owners made it as well to the Event - mostly members of the USMVC Club from the nearby Koblenz region: The usual gang's of J**p's, 4 nice GMC trucks and Sonja and Alexander with their WC51 as the only "Dodge representatives".
Several of them had tried to get in touch with the organizers of the commemoration in advance for better organization, but all had the impression that they did not want to have MV in place because of little to no suport at all... :roll:

But no one of them cared about that in the end - and all had a pretty nice day with the tour on the River banks in the nicest spring weather, incl. photo shooting in front of the Bridge and TV interviews with Veterans as former Wehrmacht soldier Robert Willscheid in front of the GMC trucks. Willscheid was a 16 years old member of a AA gun crew on one of the towers of the bridge and was then captured by the US troops on this day 70 years ago and transported to the next POW camp in a GMC truck....

Here are some fresh pictures (35 overall): http://www.steel-toys.com/RB15
(use "next image" to click to the next picture).

Keep 'em Rolling,

Joakim
Last edited by 12th Air Force on Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:07 pm, edited 7 times in total.
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Re: Remagen Bridge River Rhine Crossing Anniversary 2015 +Ph

Post by 12th Air Force »

The commemoration in the German tagesschau news on TV:
http://www.tagesschau.de/inland/remagen-101.html

In the second German TV Channel: http://www.verpasst.de/sendung/229810/My_Info.html

At the SWR TV Channel:
http://www.swr.de/landesschau-aktuell/r ... 0/1s90kyo/
NOTICE: Archive-material shown - at 0:16 you can see a Dodge WC under German fire directly at the River Rhine banks beside of the bridge!

At the "Deutsche Welle" broadcast homepage:
http://www.dw.de/vor-70-jahren-fiel-die ... a-18301675

In the press:
http://www.welt.de/regionales/rheinland ... ahren.html
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by 12th Air Force »

NEW: Interview with veteran Paul Schumacher, 9th ID at the commemoration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_mm-nEB-EQ

Last edited by 12th Air Force on Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by 12th Air Force »

Hello Folk's,

I have added the link to the Remagen Commemoration article in the latest issue of the MVPA's Army Motors Magazine (pdf file for download).
Here is the link: http://www.steel-toys.com/RB15/Remagen_final.pdf

Keep 'em Rolling,

Joakim

Last edited by 12th Air Force on Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yoeri
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade
My garage: a dodge wc64KD still in restoration status
have an eye on a wc51 for the rest of the family

Re: Remagen Bridge River Rhine Crossing Anniversary 2015 +ph

Post by yoeri »

is it planned for next year to or was it a one time ?
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by 12th Air Force »

yoeri wrote:is it planned for next year to or was it a one time ?
Hi Yoeri,

they have every year a commemoration there and MV owners coming to the bridge, but I think it's as with the D-Day's: the 71-74 anniversary will not be as lage as the 60, 70 or 75 aniversary.

Actually I have no plans for next March - maybe I will make it with the Dodge next year.

Actually we focus on the Tanks in Town Event in the end of the month at Mons.
Up to now we will be there with a Jeep and my Dodge.
- Are you joining us? Davy will be there too.

Keep 'em Rolling,

Joakim
yoeri
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by yoeri »

we plan a visit on saturday
will be as visitors ( but in ww2 uniform) , the dodge isn't ready.
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by 12th Air Force »

yoeri wrote:we plan a visit on saturday
will be as visitors ( but in ww2 uniform) , the dodge isn't ready.
So have a look then for a WC51 with a .50 Cal. (if it is not raining). :D

No idea what the time schedule will be for Sat. - I would guess similar to the last years = Convoy driving on Sat. morning in the area and stop-over at the lake for the Amphibious MV Event and then back to the Camp. So I have no idea when we will be back in the afternoon.
Line-up for the light MV Convoy was last year officially at 10. a.m. in front of the Camp on the countryside road.

On Sat. is the militaria market as well in front of the Camp on the countryside road. So the road will be closed and you should try to find a parking place at the horserace arena on the left of the Bois Brulé.

CU,

Joakim
Last edited by 12th Air Force on Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yoeri
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by yoeri »

they told us that there would be a lot to do in camp..

in 2014 we where there on sunday, after that the vehicles left there wasn't lot to do.
hope to get the dodge ready for next years edition so i can join the group on the road :)

will look out for your dodge.
always nice to see a dodge ;)
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by 12th Air Force »

yoeri wrote:they told us that there would be a lot to do in camp..

in 2014 we where there on sunday, after that the vehicles left there wasn't lot to do.
hope to get the dodge ready for next years edition so i can join the group on the road :)

will look out for your dodge.
always nice to see a dodge ;)

You should use the chance for driving with the Tank Taxi! :-)

Last year they had a Leopard 1 and a Saurer Tank in place for doing so. It's a nice track for the Tanks that they have at the Camp, it's much larger as the one in Overloon.

Some of the WW2 Tanks are using it too and you can make phantastic photos.

CU at Mons,

Joakim
Last edited by 12th Air Force on Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by 12th Air Force »

Hello Folk's,

I've been last weekend at the USMVC autumn Camp at Bockenau (nearby Bad Kreuznach) and on the way back we passed Rüdesheim on the river banks of the Rhine and took a photo of our group of MV.

"By mistake" the remainings of the Hindenburg Brücke occured on the photo, as a strange circumstance.
The Hindenburgbrücke was the sister to the legendary Ludendorff-Brücke and the Kronprinz-Wilhelm-Brücke (a.k.a.: Kronprinzen-Brücke) at Urmitz (nearby the City of Neuwied).
I was aware of those other two bridges, but I did not know that remainings of the Hindenburg-Bridge still exist at Rüdesheim and that they are by material and design quite similar to the Bridge at Remagen. :shock:

All three bridges had been part of the so called "Schlieffen-Plan" for a War in the West and have been built during WW1.
All three bridges have been destroyed (or collapsed because of heavy damage) in 1945 and the one at Urmitz is the only one that has been repaired and is back in use since 1954 - but with a different bridge construction design.

About the Hindenburg Brücke at Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindenburg_Bridge

The Hindenburg Bridge was the largest of the three railroad "war bridges" and the only one that was used for road traffic as well:

Hindenburg Bridge-head on the City of Bingen side of the river Rhine:

About the Kronprinz-Wilhelm Brücke at Wikipedia (German only): https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urmitzer_ ... r%C3%BCcke

Kronprinz-Wilhelm Bridge photo from 1940:

Keep 'em Rolling,

Joakim